"A child is like a seed. A parent adds water, love, and nurtures the seed to take a root. A teacher adds sun and nourishment to make the seed grow. Together, they help this seed to grow into a strong tree." -UnknownThe ABC's of First Grade
- Absences/Attendance: If your Smartie is absent from school due to illness, please send in a note when your child returns to school explaining his/her absence. Please let me know in advance if you know your child will be absent from school due to travel plans or medical appointments. It is important to have your child at school by 8:00. Our morning activities begin promptly at that time.
- Birthdays: Birthdays are special occasions for young children. If your child wishes, he/she may bring in a treat to share with the class. Please send in a note a day or two in advance so I can make sure it does not interfere with our scheduled activities. I would also appreciate it if you could provide the necessary utensils to serve the snack. In the past, it makes it easier if you provide single serving snacks such as cupcakes, rice crispy treats, store-bought goodies, etc. Please do not send birthday invitations to school unless it's for the entire class, all girls or all boys. Although it may seem like a convenient way to distribute invitations, it can result in hurt feelings for those not invited.
- Book Orders: Every month I will be sending home book orders for you & your Smartie to preview. These clubs offers fantastic books/games at reduced prices. As a class, we receive bonus points for every dollar spent, which I then use to purchase books for our classroom library. You may also place your order on-line......it's super easy!
- Conferences: Parent-Teacher conferences will be held in November & March. At that time, we will discuss your child's accomplishments, strengths, and overall progress.
- Communication: Communication is an important factor in your child's success in First Grade. You can contact me at school 347-3442, email email@example.com, connect with me through your child's daily behavior calendar, or through our Remind App. If you would like to discuss your child's progress/behavior in person, please call the school to set up a meeting. I found this to be more effective than trying to discuss your concerns during classroom instruction time.
- Differentiated Instruction: Since all children are unique and special, they may be at many different instructional levels. As an educator, it is my responsibility for your child to learn and reach his/her highest academic potential. This type of teaching in the classroom ensures that your child's individual needs will be met.
- Discipline: I believe that children need care and firm guidelines within a flexible structure. To establish a well-balanced classroom, the children will be guided to respect themselves as well as their friends through specific instructions, positive reinforcement, & responsible actions. In conjunction, I will be using a Behavior Calendar. A letter will be sent home on the 1st day of school explaining this.
- Friday Folders: Every Friday your Smartie will bring home their Friday Folder. It will include all notices from school, completed work, The Smartyville News, & their Behavior Calendar. Please be sure to look through your child's folder as it contains important information.
- Friendship: It is essential that the children understand the importance of team work, cooperation, & kindness. We will be focusing on these aspects of friendship throughout the year. It would be appreciated if you could reinforce the importance of friendship with your child. Our goal is to make first grade a safe & secure learning environment where bullying will not be tolerated.
- Homework: This year, your child will be using their BEE Binder for nightly homework. With our new reading and math curriculum, our homework will be different from previous years. We will be including books for your child to read aloud to you as well as worksheets. It is given most nights, except Friday. I may assign extra-credit. It will be marked with the initials EC on the top. It is completely OPTIONAL but those who complete and return it will be rewarded.
- Illness: It is evident that children are more effective in the classroom when they are feeling healthy. I know that it can be a difficult decision in the morning as your child is not feeling well. It is important, however, to keep your child home if he/she is ill. This not only helps keep your child comfortable but it also prevents the remaining students from getting sick.
- Snack: We have a short break for a daily snack. Please remember to pack a snack for your child every day!!! Healthy food is encouraged as well as snack items that are easy for your child to open themselves. Please do not send in candy and provide any utensils (usually spoons) needed. Thank you kindly!
- Transportation: If you plan to pick up your child who normally rides the bus or wish for your child to ride a different bus than usual, please send in a written note or call the main office. If no written note or call is received, your child will be sent home by his/her usual method of transportation. This is to ensure the safety of all the children in my class.
- Website: Hermon-Dekalb has a website which can be accessed at www.hdcsk12.org. I strongly urge you to check site for school wide updates. Plus while you are there click on the link, teachers websites. Then find my name and check out the site!!!!