Looking for a book, e-book, audiobook, magazine article, journal, or database?
OPALS is Hermon-DeKalb's online card catalog, which is supported by the St. Lawrence-Lewis BOCES School Library System.
Students and staff members with Google account access who require assistance with using OPALS may view a series of instructional videos online.
- Use respect towards people.
- Use respect towards library materials.
- Respect other people’s space.
- No running.
- Be respectful of Miss Reed, Mrs. Burgoyne and your fellow students.
- Treat library assistants with the same respect you would show a teacher. If you are concerned about a request made by a student assistant, please bring it up to Mrs. Burgoyne.
- Miss Reed and Mrs. Burgoyne will not override a decision made by the other.
- Come directly to the library from your study hall. You must check in before using the restroom. If you stop somewhere else or will be late, you are expected to bring a pass. If you do not arrive within 1 minute of the study hall sheet you will be sent back to study hall upon arrival.
- Bring work, read a book or magazine or use the computer. Students who are doing none of these tasks may be asked to leave.
- One person per computer. No spectators.
- All electronic devices, including MP3 players, are prohibited.
- Cell phones are prohibited. If you need a calculator, bring a calculator.
- Use a quiet voice. If we can hear you from the front desk, you are too loud.
- Four students per table, sitting in chairs, two chairs to either long side of the table. Do not turn around to speak with students at the table behind you.
- Students in grades 7-11 are allowed one library visit a day. Do not stop in at other times to read the paper or get magazines.
- If your study hall does not take the study hall sheet when dismissed, everyone on the sheet will not be allowed to come to the library the following day.
- Clean up your own mess.
- No food or drink. Food will be confiscated. Drinks are to be left on the front counter.
- No downloaded games, even if you did not personally download them.
- Using a computer login other than your own (or allowing someone to use your login) will result in an immediate library suspension and possible computer suspension.
- Throwing things will result in an immediate library suspension of at least one week, with no warning given.
- Seniors and NHS members are accorded additional privileges:
- They may come to the library more than once per day.
- Up to six seniors or NHS members may sit at one table. If one underclassman is at the table, original 4-per-table rule applies.
- They may have drinks at their tables.
Warning (Note: First offenses may require additional punishment based on their severity).
One week out of the library.
Third offense and beyond
One month or more out of the library .
- Accelerated Reader Tests - Tests can only be taken from school computers.
- Accelerated Reader Bookfinder - Find out if your book has an Accelerated Reader Test.
- MLA Citations Cheat Sheet
- MLA Citations Powerpoint