From the Superintendent
News From the Superintendent…..
Dear Parents and Community Members:
The budget for the 2019-2020 school year was finalized at the April 8 Board of Education Meeting. The final budget of $11,336,755 includes an increase of 5.78% over this year. The projected increase in state aid monies for this budget is $174,450 or 2.47% higher than this year. Budget meetings were held in March and April to discuss the budget and school district’s projected needs for next year. Our district’s proposed tax levy is 1.99% higher for the 2019-2020 year. In the building next year we plan to add a STEM/Science teacher to provide a technology component for students 3-12.
This year, there are two vacant seats on the Board of Education to be filled through this election. The two five year seats are currently held by Ronald Smith and Richard Hamilton. The vote will also include a proposition to purchase and bond two 65 passenger school busses. We will receive 90% transportation aid on this purchase.
The Budget Hearing is on Tuesday, May 7 at 6:00 PM before the regular May Board of Education Meeting. The Budget Vote is scheduled for Tuesday, May 21 from 1:00-8:00 PM. Also scheduled for that day is the Elementary Spring Concert at 1:00 PM and Spring Fling from 5:00-7:00 PM. This year’s Spring Fling will include a Science Fair, Art Show, Ice Cream Social, Basket Auction, Book Fair and other activities.
If you or your community group would like to be part of the Spring Fling on Tuesday, May 21 from 5:00-7:00 PM, please contact me.
- Staff Appreciation Week is scheduled for May 6-10. Join us in honoring the wonderful HDCS staff members.
- The prom will be held on May 11th this year.
- The Secondary Spring Concert is scheduled for 7 PM on Wednesday, May 8.
- There will be no after school program on Tuesday, May 21, the day of the Budget Vote.
- HDCS has received a grant for a giant drum composter that we plan to have up and running by early Summer. We hope to process our cafeteria waste as well as lawn clippings with other landfill bound waste to create rich soil for our school garden areas.
- We have tentatively approved the following emergency give back days for May 17, May 24 and June 26. However, if we have to take an additional day(s) due to weather we will add these back beginning with May 17th.
Spring is a busy time of year as all the activities mentioned in this newsletter and many more will take place. Please feel free to contact us at HDCS if you have any questions. We will be happy to help you. All events are posted on our Website www.hdcsk12.org
From the Principal
News from the Principal….
Warmer weather is just about here! This also beings our last push for the school year. This time of year the students and teachers begin to finish up content and begin the reviewing for final exams. It is important to remind students to stay focused on their work and continue to do their homework. Students should also set aside time to review materials prior to final exams. If you have any concerns regarding grades please contact the guidance office.
As the weather gets warmer students shed their winter clothes for those that are cooler. Please remember that clothing of a revealing nature is not considered appropriate for the academic environment. Students will be asked to change the article of clothing prior to returning to class.
Special Events Happening
Please be sure to check our school website for special events that will be coming up in May and June. We will have many student recognition ceremonies, concerts, National Honor Society Inductions, spring sports banquets and field trips for our students. If you have any questions about our events please give the Main Office a call.